Garmin, the global leader in wearable technology and smart navigation systems, has announced that it will sponsor the Pro Triathletes Organization (PTO) for 2023. The partnership will see Garmin provide its cutting-edge products and services to the PTO and its athletes, as well as support the growth and development of the sport of triathlon.
What is PTO?
The PTO is a not-for-profit entity representing the interests of professional triathletes worldwide. The PTO aims to showcase the talents and personalities of its athletes, as well as create exciting and engaging events for fans and media. The PTO also supports the development of grassroots triathlon programs and initiatives that promote health and wellness.
The PTO was founded in 2019 by a group of elite triathletes who wanted to have more control and influence over their sport. The PTO is governed by a board of directors elected by its members, who are all professional triathletes. The PTO has over 1,000 members from more than 50 countries.
Garmin is a natural fit for the PTO, as both organizations share a passion for innovation, excellence, and performance. Garmin offers a wide range of products and services that cater to the needs and preferences of triathletes, such as:
- Garmin Forerunner watches track heart rate, pace, distance, elevation, and more
- Garmin Edge bike computers, which provide navigation, power, speed, cadence, and more
- Garmin Varia rearview radar and lights, which enhance safety and visibility on the road
- Garmin Vector power pedals, which measure power output and pedal dynamics
- Garmin HRM-Pro chest strap, which records advanced running dynamics and heart rate variability
- Garmin Connect app and web platform, which syncs data and provides insights and analysis
- Garmin Coach feature, which offers personalized training plans and guidance
Garmin also has a strong presence in the triathlon community, sponsoring several events, teams, and athletes. Some of the notable names that use Garmin products include:
- Jan Frodeno, the reigning Ironman World Champion and Olympic gold medalist
- Daniela Ryf, the four-time Ironman World Champion and five-time Ironman 70.3 World Champion
- Lionel Sanders, the Canadian record holder for Ironman distance and former ITU Long Distance World Champion
- Lucy Charles-Barclay, the three-time runner-up at the Ironman World Championship and former elite swimmer
- Tim O’Donnell, the American record holder for Ironman distance and former Navy officer
What are the benefits?
The partnership between Garmin and PTO will bring several benefits to both parties, as well as to the sport of triathlon as a whole. Some of these benefits include:
- Increased exposure and recognition for both brands in the global market
- Enhanced fan engagement and interaction through social media, live streaming, podcasts, and more
- Improved athlete performance and satisfaction through access to premium products and services
- Expanded opportunities for collaboration and innovation in product development and event management
- Greater support for grassroots triathlon programs and initiatives that promote health and wellness
The partnership will also enable Garmin to showcase its products and services at some of the most prestigious events in triathlon, such as:
- The Collins Cup, a team-based competition that pits the best triathletes from Europe, USA, and Internationals against each other
- The PTO Championships, an individual race that features the top 40 male and female triathletes in the world
- The PTO Majors Series™, a series of four iconic races that offer lucrative prize purses and ranking points
The partnership will start with a launch event at Garmin headquarters in Olathe, Kansas. The event will feature some top PTO athletes who share their stories and experiences with Garmin products and services. They will also demonstrate how Garmin helps them train, race, and recover more effectively and efficiently.
The launch event will be live-streamed on the PTO website and social media channels, as well as on Garmin’s website and social media channels. The event will also feature a Q&A session with the athletes and Garmin representatives and a giveaway of some of the Garmin products.
The partnership between Garmin and PTO is expected to elevate the sport of triathlon to new heights, as both organizations share a vision of innovation, excellence, and performance. Garmin hopes to inspire more people to pursue their passions and achieve their goals by providing its cutting-edge products and services to the PTO and its athletes.