Volkswagen has finally revealed its latest electric vehicle, the ID.7, a sleek and spacious sedan that boasts cutting-edge technology, impressive range, and fast charging. The ID.7 is the flagship model of Volkswagen's ID family of electric vehicles, which also includes the ID.3 hatchback, the ID.4 crossover, the ID.5 coupe SUV, the ID.6 three-row SUV, and the upcoming ID.Buzz van. The Volkswagen ID.7 sedan is based on the same modular electric platform (MEB) as the other ID models, but it features a more aerodynamic and elegant design that resembles a coupe rather than a traditional sedan.
The US launch date has not been announced yet, but it is likely to follow later in 2024 or early 2025. The pricing for other markets has yet to be revealed either, but it is expected to be similar to or higher than the German price of 56,995 euros ($66,000) for the base model.
The Volkswagen ID.7 electric sedan will face competition from other electric sedans in its segment, such as the Tesla Model S, the Hyundai Ioniq 6, the Kia EV6, and the Mercedes-Benz EQE. Whether Volkswagen can attract customers with its high-tech electric sedan and justify its hefty price tag remains to be seen.
What Makes the ID.7 Special?
The VW ID.7 is not just another electric sedan. It has several features that make it stand out from the crowd and showcase Volkswagen's ambition to become a leader in the electric vehicle market. Some of these features are:
- A new and more powerful electric motor that produces 282 horsepower and 402 pound-feet of torque driving the rear wheels. This motor is more efficient and quieter than the one used in the ID.4.
- A choice of two battery packs: a 77-kilowatt-hour (kWh) battery pack that can provide a range of up to 612 kilometers (380 miles) on the WLTP cycle or an 86-kWh battery pack that can offer a range of up to 700 kilometers (435 miles) on the same cycle. Both battery packs use lithium-ion cells from LG Chem and Samsung SDI.
- A fast charging capability of up to 170 kilowatts for the 77-kWh battery pack and up to 200 kilowatts for the 86-kWh battery pack allows them to replenish 80 percent of their battery in about 30 minutes. The ID.7 also supports bidirectional charging, which means it can supply power to other devices or vehicles.
- A drag coefficient of just 0.23, which makes it one of the most aerodynamic cars on the market. The ID.7 achieves this by using a smooth and streamlined body shape, a closed front grille, flush door handles, active air flaps, and a rear spoiler.
- A hatchback design that provides more cargo space than a conventional sedan. The ID.7 has a trunk capacity of 550 liters (19.4 cubic feet), which can be expanded to 1,450 liters (51.2 cubic feet) by folding down the rear seats.
- A panoramic glass roof that can be opened or closed by gesture control or voice command. The glass roof also has an adjustable tint that can change from transparent to dark depending on the weather or the preferences of the passengers.
What Are the Features of the Volkswagen ID.7?
The VW ID.7 also boasts a number of advanced features that aim to enhance the driving experience and comfort of the passengers. Some of these features are:
- A new 15-inch touchscreen infotainment system that can be controlled by touch, gesture, voice, or steering wheel buttons. The system can also display navigation, entertainment, climate, and vehicle settings on a customizable dashboard.
- A head-up display that can project augmented reality information on the windshield, such as speed, lane guidance, traffic signs, and navigation directions.
- A digital key that can unlock and start the car using a smartphone or a smartwatch.
- An intelligent lighting system that can adjust the brightness and color of the interior lights according to the mood and preferences of the passengers.
- A natural voice assistant that can understand natural language commands and queries, such as "Hey ID, I'm cold" or "Hey ID, how far is Berlin?".
- A wireless charging pad that can charge compatible smartphones without cables.
- A heat pump can improve the efficiency and range of the battery by using waste heat from the electric components. The heat pump is optional for the 77-kWh battery pack and standard for the 86-kWh battery pack.
- An adaptive suspension that can adjust the ride height and damping of the car according to the road conditions and driving mode.
- A massaging function for the front seats that can provide different levels of relaxation or stimulation.
- A comprehensive driver assistance system that can perform automatic lane changes, adaptive cruise control, emergency braking, parking assist, and traffic jam assist.
Is the ID.7 Worth It?
The ID.7 is a promising electric vehicle that offers a lot of technology, space, and range for a reasonable price. It is also a versatile and comfortable car that can suit different needs and preferences. However, it is not without its drawbacks. Some potential issues are:
- The lack of a front trunk (frunk) that could provide extra storage space. The ID.7 has a large hood that covers the electric motor and other components, but it does not have a separate compartment for luggage.
- The complexity of the infotainment system could be confusing or distracting for some drivers. The system has many features and functions, but they are not always easy to access or use. Some settings are hidden in submenus or require multiple steps to activate.
- The absence of vehicle-to-device charging that could be useful for camping or emergencies. The ID.7 can only charge other devices or vehicles through its bidirectional charging port, but it does not have a standard outlet or USB port that could power laptops, phones, or other gadgets.
- The optional heat pump could be essential for cold climates. The heat pump can help maintain the battery temperature and range in low temperatures, but it is not included in the base model of the ID.7. It could be an expensive extra for some buyers.
The VW ID.7 is a worthy contender in the electric sedan market, but it is not a perfect electric car. It has its strengths and weaknesses, and it may not appeal to everyone. Ultimately, the decision to buy it depends on each customer's personal preferences and expectations.